Federal Member for Durack Melissa Price said the tragedy of youth suicide touches far too many families in our community.
Ms Price welcomed the Morrison Government’s $503.1 million Youth Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan which is focused on protecting the lives and mental wellbeing of young Australians.
“This represents the single largest investment in youth suicide prevention in the country’s history, as part of our record investment of $4.8 billion in mental health services,” Ms Price said.
“This funding includes $3.5 million over four years to establish a new headspace centre in Kununurra.
“This is part of the Federal Government’s plan of expanding the headspace network from 115 to 145 sites across the nation, and increasing its funding to more than $120 million per year to help with wait times and improve services,” said Ms Price.
Our investments in mental health include:
· Supporting Beyond Blue with $98.6 million for the Mental Health in Education initiative, Be You, the award-winning digital mental health gateway.
· Partnering with Indigenous communities to address mental health and suicide prevention.
· Supporting rural communities by providing psychological services via videoconferencing, through additional funding for communities affected by natural disasters, and ensuring help is available 24/7, through free online or telephone services.
· Providing $1.45 billion to Primary Health Networks for community mental health services.
· Creating new adult mental health centres to provide advice and support over extended hours.
· Investing in ground breaking medical research through our $125 million Million Minds Mission.