A butane gas lighter which recently exploded and injured a Donnybrook woman has been recalled from sale.
The supplier of the Trio jet lighter in Queensland has voluntarily agreed to withdraw the item from sale with a notice expected to be posted soon on the recalls website www.recalls.gov.au.
Consumer Protection is now ensuring retailers that stocked the lighters have removed them from their shelves and withdrawn them from sale. Those retailers include Krazy Price stores, Cloud9 stores, FreeChoice tobacconists and other smaller outlets in WA.
Commissioner for Consumer Protection David Hillyard said consumers who have purchased these items should cease to use them immediately.
“Now recalled from the market, the Trio lighters should not be used and consumers can return them to get a refund,” Mr Hillyard said.
“We appreciate the cooperation of the supplier in this case to act quickly and recall the product once there was a concern about their safety following the incident in which one of the items exploded and caused serious burns to the consumer.
“Every supplier and retailer has an obligation under the Australian Consumer Law to ensure that the products they sell are safe and are required by law to report any serious injuries involving their products to the ACCC.
“We also urge consumers who believe a product being offered for sale is unsafe to report it to Consumer Protection.”